How Artificial Intelligence Connects Businesses
Artificial intelligence has the power to transform businesses of all sizes. It’s typically used for three different purposes; to streamline systems, gather data and keep businesses connected with their customers. Most widely used in hospitality and healthcare, AI is now slowly spreading out into other industries, such as telecoms.
Businesses within the telecommunications industry are benefiting hugely from adopting AI technology. A recent survey showed that all telecoms customers really want is to speak to an agent when they’ve got a problem. This might sound simple to deliver, but it seems the industry is lagging behind a little, with 72% of those people reporting that they simply gave up, after waiting for more than 30 minutes on hold.
Additionally, the COVID-19 pandemic has placed an increasing amount of pressure on the telecoms industry, with more businesses than ever before choosing to adopt remote and flexible working. It seems timely, then, that companies dedicated to connecting people have finally decided to embrace the power of automation and machine learning.
How are businesses in the telecoms industry using artificial intelligence?
AI in telecoms has been used in various ways:
- For customer service. This is obviously the big one, as telecoms companies are generally based around providing people with products. Virtual assistants and chatbots have been proving beneficial to both businesses and customers. Telecoms giant Vodafone implemented TOBI, their automated assistant, and saw a 68% improvement in customer satisfaction and an increase in website conversions.
- For maintenance and repair. The best way to get ahead with repairs is to prevent them in the first place, and this is exactly what Nokia did. Their revolutionary predictive repair service predicts issues up to 14 days in advance, with an impressive accuracy of 95%. This smart system reduces wasted site visits and resources, freeing up engineers for other tasks.
- To streamline operations. One of the main benefits of AI in telecoms is that is has the power to overhaul existing ineffective systems. Robotic process automation is able to perform repetitive, rule-based tasks such as data collection, query solving, order processing and backup procedures. This frees up staff for more complex jobs, saving the business both time and money.
How can AI keep other businesses connected?
The benefits of artificial intelligence extend beyond the world of telecoms. Companies in all industries, both large and small, can take advantage of automated processes to better connect with both staff and customers. Here’s how:
- Automated systems can make data gathering a far more simple process. This allows businesses to gain better, more detailed insights about their customers, and provide them with a more tailored service.
- Recruitment and onboarding can be completely overhauled. Specialised software can carry out interviews, and help new recruits to settle into their role within the company. Similarly, it can help with on-the-job training and team building exercises.
- Artificial intelligence can transform collaborative software to make team working easier. Stored people insights, such as work history and previous projects, make for easier connections amongst employees. Trends in employee productivity can be analysed and stored, making it easier to identify the best times for effective team working.